Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Classic Throwback: Point Break (Kathryn Bigelow, 1991)

Point Break has always been one of those elusive films. I used to see it was playing on television, and dismissed it as a ‘surfing flick starring Keanu Reeves’. It wasn’t until I saw it included amongst the brilliant satire of Hot Fuzz that I took notice of it. Turns out it is directed by Kathryn Bigelow (The Hurt Locker) and has a strong cult following. It was even referenced in Joss Whedon’s Avengers script. As I am focusing on female directors this month, Bigelow seemed like a great choice, and I used that as my motivation to watch this action classic for the first time.


You know that feeling when you are watching a film and you realize it is far better than you expected? Well, I had that feeling at the half way point of Point Break. The fantastic car/foot chase at the centre of this film got my adrenalin going – not just because it was brilliantly shot and edited, but because the bond that had been developed between the two key characters is unexpectedly put on the line in this scene.

Yes, the premise is a silly one, but the script is sharp (and funny), Bigelow handles most scenes very competently, and there are some great individual moments. The romantic subplot has been done to death, so watching this film this late in the game, meant that I was bored by the predictability of that subplot. The second half isn’t quite as engaging – more content to take the action into the air - and there is a significant shootout that fell a bit flat. But it does have Keanu Reeves jumping out of a plane without a parachute, and an ensuing aerial scuffle, and that is badass.

Keanu Reeves plays Johnny Utah - one of his most iconic performances and the role that catapulted him onto the map – a clean-cut, highly skilled rookie FBI Agent, and former Ohio State quarterback. He teams up with a veteran partner, Angelo Pappas (Gary Busey), to track down a gang of bank robbers calling themselves the ‘Ex-Presidents’. They hide their identities during the robberies with masks of former Presidents, including ones of Ronald Reagan and Richard Nixon.


Pappas has a theory that the robbers are surfers, linking crime scene evidence to the wax used on surfboards, and pinning down a pattern in the robberies. He believes their low-risk robberies (which only ever take from the bank drawers) pay for their surfing excursions for the rest of the year – and suggests that Johnny go undercover and infiltrate the surfing community. He crosses waves with a strong-willed surfer girl, Tyler (Lori Petty), and persuades her to teach him her skills. Through Tyler, Johnny befriends Bodhi (Patrick Swayze), and his gang of thrill-seekers. Impressed by his athleticism, and sensing he is attracted to the kinds of rushes they seek on a daily basis – surfing, sky-diving, nights of partying…robbery? - Bodhi accept him in. He gradually falls under both Tyler and Bodhi’s spell, which influence his personal involvement in the case.

Swayze is great as the charismatic surfer dude, but it is the cameo performances that add to the charm of this film. Gary Busey is always welcomed on screen in my opinion – and though he is weary and underappreciated veteran of the bureau, his skills as a detective begin to shine through when matched with Utah’s youthful enthusiasm. John C. McGinley (Scrubs) is always good comedic value, this time mixing it with a bit of venom as the FBI Director. Lee Tergesen (Oz), Chris Pedersen (Platoon), Anthony Keidis (Red Hot Chili Peppers) and an unaccredited Tom Sizemore (Heat) make surprising appearances along the way.

Reeves is excellent as our protagonist, perhaps not in depth of expression or delivery, but looking the part both as a tight-knit upstart of the FBI willing to tackle anything, and as the adventurous thrill-seeker seduced by the care-free life of his new acquaintances. It is a story of getting in too deep. The testosterone rush of placing his life on the line in new and exciting ways, only to find it placed on the line when his undercover life and his obligation to the case start to cross paths, seduces him.


Though things get a bit wild in the second half – and stretches the boundaries of plausibility – the film never ceases to be energetically shot. The surfing captures are extraordinarily, the skydiving captures exhilarating, and the action - whether immersed in the robbery sequences, or fast tracking through the foot chase – is full of energy. I regret allowing so much time to pass before watching Point Break. There were several scenes that left me in awe, and it was much more entertaining than I expected. I look forward to seeing more from Kathryn Bigelow (Strange Days notably) in the not-too-distant future.

My Rating: ★★★1/2 (B)

22 comments:

  1. Woah I had no idea this was made by Bigelow. I keep thinking of it as the movie Nick Frost loved in Hot Fuzz. I may watch it sometime soon.
    Good review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hot Fuzz was what awakened me to it. I had no idea it was an action film. Thanks Nikhat!

      Delete
  2. I didn't knew Kathryn Bigelow directed this, interesting! I like this movie, I still remember the end and the wave!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you seen Busey play Leroy the masochist in Big Wednesday Andy?
    A lot of people think Point Break owes a huge debt to John Milius's 1978 homage to the California surf scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good call, Paul! I have sincerely loved Point Break since I was young, and I would often force people to watch the film in a genuine effort to convert them. I always kind of made the assumption that Pappas was actually Leroy (figuratively, of course).
      Always nice to see some kinds words about such a stellar film. Great review.

      Delete
    2. I have not seen Big Wednesday, no. So I missed that reference. I shall seek it out. I felt like I couldn't let it pass without writing something. I had too much fun with the film, and judging by all the responses here, it is a much-admired classic. Thanks for reading guys.

      Delete
  4. I do like this film. It's so much fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to the promised land! 'Point Break' is one of the best action films ever made. Bigelow knows how to tap into the male psyche so well. It's more than an action film in so many ways with it's commentary on masculinity. Great write up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the share Cam. I feel like I am more of a man now.

      I totally agree with you. Here are these guys living on the edge - one adrenalin boost after another - and Utah is seduced by that philosophy. He would have gone all the way too, if it weren't for his badge. I LOVED that chase scene, and then came Utah's decision to jump out of the plane. Wow.

      Delete
  6. Yeah, despite the premise of this one Bigelow really proved she had considerable chops as a director. There are some fantastic sequences.

    I re-watched this a couple years back and the thing that stuck with me the most, though, was when Keanu was pretending to be the stoned surfer and yet he didn't sound all that different as the stoned surfer than he does as just, well, Keanu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is true. Haha. I couldn't help but laugh at Keanu throughout the film, but I still think he suited the role really well. He even pulled off the comedy. No issues with any of the performances.

      Delete
  7. So many people are shocked to see this is by Bigelow and it's funny because this is one of the biggest dude movies, if I've ever seen one and the fact that it's directed by a chick makes it all the more cool. Still a very fun movie all these years later, and as corny as it can be, you still can't deny the idea of surfers being bank robbers. Awesome. Good review Andy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. It is a silly premise if you think about it, but it is undeniably a cool one. Will less accomplished direction, it would not have worked, but as it turns out, it did.

      Delete
  8. One of my favourite action films of all time. Swayze is legendary, a bit like a proto-Tyler Durden in my eyes. The foot chase and skydiving without a parachute scenes are ridiculously thrilling. I don't think Bigelow has ever been better. And if you haven't see all the Point Break Back Mountain trailers on YouTube. Check them out, they are hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I still prefer The Hurt Locker - one of the best films of 2009 - but for my second experience with Bigelow, she has not put a foot wrong yet. I will. Cheers for the suggestion, Pete.

      Delete
  9. YES! I LOVE Point Break. Seriously, it is probably the most "fun" movie I've ever seen. There is no limit to my love for this flick. Thanks for highlighting it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You love it too? It sits there amongst Con Air and Face-Off as 'enormously fun 90's action films'. I could watch it again today.

      Delete
    2. I'd like to add The Rock. "How in the name ZEUS' BUTTHOLE!..."

      Delete
    3. Glad to hear the 'Face-Off' love. I can watch that thing over and over, it's perhaps one of my fave Nic Cage movie ever. I know the action is overblown but I like John Woo's style with the slo-mo and white doves :D

      Delete
    4. Gotta love the white doves. Yeah, I watched Face/Off recently and it still holds up. So much fun.

      Delete
  10. I haven't seen this film since it first came to video. Perhaps it's time for a re-watch. At the time I wasn't sure about seeing "Ted" (from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure) in an action film. Of course, he's done one or two others since then.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Man it's been ages since I saw this but you made me want to see it again soon. I've always liked Keanu, yes he's not the most expressive actor but he's got charm. We don't get an action/surfing movie very often these days :D

    ReplyDelete